23 February 2012

My process

I'm not sure if anyone cares about this process, aggravating as it is to me, but I find blogging about it cathartic. I am trying to get this shibori piece mounted and ready for hanging at Waterfall Arts. This is the piece Meagan, the young woman I am "mentoring", and I made for the H2O show. It is our interpretation of water. After more shibori dyeing than I even wanted to do, I now have the gradation of values that I wanted. The piece is sewn and ready to hang.
So what's the big deal? I cut the wood for the frame but I needed to bevel the insides and my bandsaw blade broke. It is too cold to fiddle with it in my unheated wood shop so I tried my big bench mounted belt  sander. The sanding belt broke. It is definitely too cold to fiddle with that too. I felt the universe was pushing in another direction. So I decided to mount the fabric on 1.5" Styrofoam insulation board.

It is light weight, relatively easy to cut and easy to push pins into, to attach the fabric. This is step one.
I have ironed and hung the fabric on the straight of grain even though it will be displayed on the bias (diamond shaped).
Today I will cut the Styrofoam to the correct size and possibly do the attaching. Check back tomorrow...


  1. I love your shibori piece.

  2. Yes, beautiful shibori. And a lot of fabric for dyeing! Yammie...
    gr. Marjolijn

  3. How very clever of you, and it looks beautifull!


I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.