Another shot out of direct sun showing the lovely "surprise" marbling of the edging fabric. What a great save.
Another task was trying to keep the quilt top as whole as possible and not having to make so many QAYG (Quilt As You Go) seams. I figured I could handle a 1' X 6' strip and keep it straight. So the plan was to sandwich up the quilt, batting and backing and quilt the strip to within an inch, maybe 1 1/2 of the edges.
The batting by the yard is crazy - like $15-$17/yd. A few months ago Joann had the pre-cut queen batting 90" X 108 " on sale for half price. That's about 4 yards of batting. I forgot what I paid, maybe $22-$24. for the package. I bought 2. Next DAY it was on sale for 60% which was about $18. and I ordered 3. Probably won't see that for a while.
I laid out the batting and cut at the 90" width a slice 21".
This will give me about an inch at each side, and inch at the QAYG seam to the next 6' strip and 7" to do a flip and sew 2" green sash and another flip and sew 4" purple sash, at least top and bottom.
Below is what I have left of the queen bat. The length is the length and the width is 90" which is how I am cutting the strips.
It was a bit wrinkled so I cool pressed the bat a bit to get it as smooth as possible.
This is my Sewline BEST ever white marker. Expensive but worth every dollar. It last forever. I still have the original core inside.
Smoothed to within a inch of it's life, pinned and ready to sew! Can't wait!!