Let me start at the beginning. I started with a piece of paper I wanted to use on the cover. Using paper for the cover was the first mistake. I should have used book cloth. OK, mistake #1.
This was a piece of paste paper that was sort of prints and smears of leftover paste. It was too white.
I used dye based watercolors I bought from DMTV (the Kemshalls)
This wash gave the colors a continuity.
Next was long stitching the 10 signatures to a cloth strip. This may look easy but took HOURS to do.
The signatures were stitched 1/8" apart.
I then clamped the signatures together to help the book stand on it's own
Here is the front back and spine
I glued the individual pieces of bookboard to the paper. This was mistake #2 because the paper wrinkled and it was difficult to make it adhere.
The fabric used had steam-a-seam on the back so I ironed the fabric backed signatures to the inside of the book. NOT a mistake. This worked well.
It's done and I'll use it but I doubt if I will ever use this binding technique again. The coptic binding is fast, easy and the pages lay just as flat!!