We ran out of nutmeg dyed fabric and started making black marks on white fabric which, after it had dried, I over dyed in nutmeg dye. Some came out fine where other had the black dye marks fade and "grey" the nutmeg which was sad. I did two pieces on white, one came out great and the other dulled and faded. Both were different fabrics.
Marks made with a piece of terry towel over my finger dipped in black dye on white fabric This idea came to me in a dream the first night of the Maine Event.
Marks made on white then over dyed
This was 1/2 nutmeg and 1/2 dusty orange. I will make a few more of these pieces dyed in half and half. This is from the batch Marcella and I did on our workshop preparation date. This is the piece I made the pillow with.
Another thing I did was make a gyotaku print on white pretreated fabric. Then I dipped it in the indigo vat but the indigo overpowered the print. I washed it HARD by hand with hot water and lots of soap to lighten the indigo. It lightened and took the print with it. I reprinted the fish on the cloth and let it dry then sprayed front and back with soda ash. Here it is.
There is a bit of a shadow of the former black dye but if you didn't know you wouldn't suspect.
I love the stitching on the pillow cover, really pops!ReplyDelete
and I loved doing it!! Will do at least one more since that one is sold.Delete
The stitching on your pillow cover brings the print to life. So good!ReplyDelete
Thank you. sold already!!Delete