07 October 2019

Reworking a failed piece


Marcella had given me a really nice heavy apron and I thought it would be fun indigo dyed so at the Indigo Workshop I tried to use the heart resist that came out so nicely on an overdyed piece of red.



Unfortunately the apron must have had some surface treatment on it and the fabric really resisted the indigo. The hearts were almost indistinguishable.





I thought, why not stitch the outline of a heart in red on all the areas I tried to resist. I used the wood heart I had cut as a guide to mark the fabric with water soluble graphite.



 It looked pretty anaemic so I thought I'd color them in with inktense blocks. After doing a few in just red I decided to use all the colors.


Above and below are still wet


This is the apron dried. I think it's really cute and reminds me of a child's coloring.





8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Carmina. I was worried for a while but "color" saved the day

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I actually had fun with it and could breath a sigh of relief at the end

      Delete
  3. All the process brought you to a wonderful apron that is the sum of the parts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun! Your creativity shines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcella. You know how disappointed I was that this would not take the indigo. Ended up OK though.

      Delete

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting