When I woke up I thought maybe stitch the signatures to a cover of soft felt and leave it unattached near the hinge. It would still be hard to use as a sketchbook and that's when I came up with this great idea. Why not fill the pages with something and then have it as a tin book of art work.
This turned into a "What if" day of trying many techniques for coloring these pages. There were so many I will do half today and half next post.
One of my favorite effects is the way watercolors shed off oil pastels so I used these texture plates (idea I got from Beata's post on the FIRE blog).
These are very inexpensive texture plates for children I bought from Dick Blick years ago.
Yes, I am actually painting on a new book!
Then I tried Dye-Na-Flo paints and splashed it on wet paper like acrylic inks.
Finally stopped painting on a new book (lazy) and put down a piece of lexan which I could wipe with a sponge.
Don't get too excited. The salt did nothing!!