I used rows of straight stitch on the stripped blocks
and something in the middle then square spiral rows around the centers of the log cabin(ish) ones
These are the "rough" squares before trimming
The back side of the "rough" square. You can see where I made a huge mistake requiring hours of work to fix. I cut the backing pieces too small and had to scab on an inch on both sides. Yuck!
I had to trim the squares to 12.5" square BUT on the wrong side because the backing was the problem.
The square trimmed
The front of the square trimmed
Next mistake was pre-cutting the connector strips TOO SMALL. Now, did I bother to read my own tutorial NO!! Instead of cutting 4.5" strips for 2 " connectors, I cut ALL the fabric I had left to 2.5" strips for 1" connectors. sigh!. Now I need more fabric and I have to wait because the store is 45 miles away. Double sigh!!
I sewed rows 1 & 2 together then 3 & 4 together then 5 & 6 together to keep the weight down. The I sewed 1/2 to 3/4 then finally the last double strip 5/6.