05 August 2012

Silk Screening weekend

This was the week of my 2 day silk screening workshop. What a ball. Two of the three registered people came and we really clicked. We made our screens and printing surfaces and started in on the techniques. You may be disappointed but those who know me will not be surprised that I was having so much fun, I forgot to take pictures til late Friday night. Sheesh!
I am going to show all the pics and the results  I have and Wednesday, I am hoping to have all the pics that the other two women took.

 These are not in order so what's new?
 By the time I realized I hadn't taken one snap, we were on flour paste resists. Hilary and I shared this design which we both worked on.
                         Here is Karen holding her design up to the light to check how it came out.
 These were four pulls on one piece of fabric with the right two on top and left 2 on the bottom. We all took turns adding elements in water-soluble oil pastels to a blank screen. When we were done we "made it permanent" with base extender from ProChem. We could have also used 1/2 & 1/2 PVA and water but the base extender (Fabric paint without color - clear) kept the hand softer.

                                           Karen and Hilary after 2 long days of creativity.

                                                       Above is my "clean-up rag"
 This was "objects as a resist" and we used plants and leaves. If you squint, you can see some dandelions on the lower left section.
                           These were the screens we set up Friday night to deconstruct on Saturday

 This is the last clean-up rag Hilary started but she left it behind (hehehe) and I continued the clean-up with it. It's really lovely. These are actual rags we clean with - it's not a secret code for something else.
                                                 Above it my example of interfacing stencils.
 My deconstructed screens prints done with thickened dye I had in my refrigerator for about 2 months - a no-no!  Weak colors.
             The colors are weak which is really a shame because the figuring of the dye is really lovely
                                                                Four weak panels
             I used a feather in the construction process and it actually came out in the deconstruction
                               Karen and Hilary starting the deconstruction of her screens
           The two above are WET deconstructed screens. Wednesday we'll see how they came out
               Karen wielding the print paste (releasing the dried dye in the deconstruction process).

At the end of the day on Friday, we took all the leftover dye that would exhaust and smooshed it all over a large piece of fabric. This is Karen going to town with her color.

1 comment:

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.